Wednesday, July 20, 2011

OH MAN-GO...What a day

I recently took a trip to Woodstock, New York to do a little shopping and visit   the Farm Animal Sanctuary for the 4 th of July Jamboree.  The  drive up was rainy and gloomy, but I assured myself that by the time I arrived the rain would taper off and the sun would be shining.  I was wrong,  but it still didn't discourage anyone  from enjoying  the festivities. There was live music, people singing and clapping, chickens and turkeys roaming around trying  to get a taste of the vegan treats and of course people getting some one on one time with the rescued farm animals.







As I headed  home I made a pit stop in New Paltz, New York at a vegetarian spot called Karma Road.  It wasn't really a chilly day,  but I ordered their delicious house made soup, sweet potato and walnut biscuit (which I love because it is kind of like eating dessert with your meal) and something else that caught my eye.... a MANGO STINGER .  A smoothie made  with frozen  mango, banana, ginger and rice milk....DELICIOUS!!  On my way home I began to WONDER  how would I  make this smoothie?  Could I  find the yellow champagne mangoes that I loved?  I didn't normally use rice milk, would I use almond milk  or maybe coconut milk?  For  protein you can  add some hemp seed or a protein powder  and  ground flax seed if you wanted  some Omega 3 Fatty Acids. There are many variations, here is what I came up with. Enjoy! ;-)

Rescue Me Mango Smoothie


1 cup coconut milk- (You could use any type of vegan or mammal milk you prefer. ( I use 1/4 cup coconut milk and dilute it with 3/4 cup water.  You can dilute it with any liquid you like ) ex. coconut water, orange juice, vodka ;-) 


A piece of ginger about the size of your thumb- this really depends on the flavor you want to achieve. Experiment!!


3/4 cup of frozen mango- I prefer to use the yellow champagne mangoes, the flavor is so much better than the red mangoes.  If you can't find mangoes and you have fresh local peaches....give that a try.


1 cup frozen bananas- again experiment with the amounts of fruit...you may like more mango than banana.


Place in blender until smooth and creamy!!


                            
Check these places out!!

http://karmaroad.net/
http://www.woodstocksanctuary.org/





No comments:

Post a Comment